Current Volunteer Opportunities at FamilyWorks
Supermarket Saturday Food Drive
- When: The third Saturday of the month from 9 am to 1 pm, in one hour shifts
- Where: Wallingford QFC, 1801 N 46th St.
- Activities: Volunteers will hand out flyers to shoppers which list the non-perishable goods needed for our food bank. Shoppers then purchase the items and donate them to us. This is also an opportunity to engage the community in conversations about how the food bank helps our community.
- Who: School-aged children (5 and Up) with their families are welcome!
Please note: Supermarket Saturdays happen on the third Saturday of the month (with some exceptions). Dates are: Feb 18th, Mar 18th, Apr 15th, May 20th, Jun 17th, Jul 15th, Aug 19th, Sep 16th, Oct 21st, Nov 4th .
We are resuming these fun food drives on Saturday February 18, 2017 from 9-1!
At FamilyWorks, we welcome families and individuals looking for resources, support and community. Our empowerment champion is the first point of contact for people who come through our doors and welcomes visitors with dignity and respect. The ideal volunteer feels comfortable interacting with people from all walks of life, including those experiencing homelessness, and seeks to create an environment that is positive and empowering for our participants.
Opportunities to Empower
- Being a welcoming presence in our space
- Distributing emergency food bags and basic-needs resources (ie. diapers, bus tickets, etc)
- Communicating and interacting with our regular participants, thereby developing positive and encouraging relationship
- Referring participants to additional resources for continuum of care
- Assisting with administrative tasks
- Maintaining a well-organized space that is welcoming and efficient
- Willingness and ability to work with families and individuals from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles, sexual orientations, and of all ages.
- Ability to be non-judgmental, positive, respectful, creative, consistent and flexible.
- Experience working or volunteering in the social and human services fields is a plus but not required.
- Computer skills a plus but not required.
Monday: 10-12; Tuesday: 10-1 or 11-2; Wednesday: 10-1 or 11-2; Thursday: 10-1 or 11-2; Friday: 10-2
Food Bank Volunteers